Indonesia is the birthplace of many tropical health and beauty secrets. Boreh is a Balinese spice body mask that is a popular treatment for fever, headaches, muscle aches and arthritis. This aromatic mask increases circulation, exfoliates and softens skin. Makes 4 ounces (one treatment).
• 1 teaspoon ground cloves
• 2 teaspoons ground ginger
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
• 1 teaspoon turmeric
• 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 3 teaspoons rice powder (finely ground rice)
• 1 to 2 teaspoons water
1. Combine ground spices and rice powder. Add water and mix well until mixture forms a smooth paste (add more water if mixture is too dry).
2. To use, rub paste over entire body and wrap yourself in a warm bath towel or sheet. After 5 to 10 minutes, remove cloth and rub off paste with a cotton washcloth. Rinse body well with warm water. Moisturize using a rich body cream or coconut oil.
Janice Cox is the author of Natural Beauty at Home (Henry Holt and Company, New York) available in bookstores nationwide. For more information and recipes, visit her at www.herbcompanion.com/contributors .
Click here for the main article, Body & Soul: Tropical Spa Treatments .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE