This Almond and Cocoa Butter Lip Gloss is good by itself or under lipstick. Cocoa butter on lips conditions and protects the lips and has a mild chocolate scent. I like to use this gloss over lipstick for extra shine. MAKES 1/2 OUNCE
• 1/2 teaspoon grated beeswax
• 1 teaspoon cocoa butter (grate if using solid cocoa butter)
• 1 teaspoon almond oil
1. Melt wax, cocoa butter and oil using the water-bath technique (see sidebar below). Pour the melted mixture into a lip gloss container or clean pillbox.
2. Cool completely, until cool to the touch and solid in form. You may refrigerate to speed up cooling time.
3. To use: Rub into your lips and enjoy.
Using the Water-Bath Technique
The water-bath technique is a simple way to gently heat ingredients. To use, simply place the ingredients you want to melt in a heat-proof glass measuring cup or bowl. Then, put your glass dish inside a larger pot. Add enough water to the large pot to submerge your glass dish about halfway. Boil the water in the pot to melt the ingredients inside the glass dish.