Where Herbs and Spices Make a Difference
This is good with a crusty bread and green salad.
• 2 boneless, skinless
• chicken breasts
• 3/4 cup water
• 1/4 cup lemon juice
• 1/2 cup white wine
• 5 cups chicken broth
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
• 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
• 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
• 4 tablespoons green onions, chopped into
• 1-inch pieces
• 4 tablespoons chopped black olives
• 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, marinated in olive oil
• 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
• 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
• Freshly ground black pepper
1. Cut the chicken breasts into small pieces. In the bottom of a steamer pot, mix the water and lemon juice and a dash each of the wine and chicken broth. Steam the chicken until tender, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sauté 3 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat with oil. Add the remaining white wine and cook until all the wine is absorbed. Add 1/2 cup of the remaining stock and cook, stirring frequently until the stock is absorbed. Continue adding the stock, 1/2 cup at a time, until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. With the second addition of stock, add the dried herbs and green onions. With the third addition, add the olives, tomatoes, and basil. With the final addition, add the chicken.
3. When done, stir in the cheese and top with pepper to taste.
Jennifer Rawley Crow, Vail, Colorado
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE