Oregano and Garlic Roasted Eggplant
SERVES 4 TO 6
Glaze some eggplant with olive oil and herbs for a warm, flavor-filled fall meal.
• 2 medium eggplants (about 2 pounds)
• Olive oil cooking spray
• 1/4 cup wheat germ
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Cut the eggplant into 1/4-inch-thick rounds.
3. Lightly coat two nonstick baking sheets or shallow pans with cooking oil spray.
4. Arrange the eggplant slices on the baking sheets, and spray them with the cooking oil spray.
5. Combine the wheat germ, oregano, and garlic in a shaker-type jar.
6. Shake about half of the wheat germ mix onto the eggplant.
7. Bake the eggplant for 10 minutes or until barely browned.
8. Remove the pan from the oven, turn the eggplant slices over, and sprinkle them with the remaining seasoning mix.
9. Add salt and pepper to taste.
10. Return to the oven for about 10 minutes more.
Click here to return to the main article, Full-bodied Flavor.
Kris Wetherbee is a freelance writer and frequent contributor to The Herb Companion. She lives in the hills of western Oregon with her photographer husband Rick Wetherbee.