Keep the fresh-herb taste from fading and enjoy your favorite herbs throughout the fall and winter months.
Lemon Verbena Blueberry Muffins
MAKES 1 DOZEN
On a chilly day, these warming muffins provide a breakfast or snack that is far from ordinary.
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
• 1 cup rolled oats
• 1/4 cup turbinado sugar (raw sugar)
• 2 teaspoons dried and crumbled lemon verbena (or lemon balm)
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon dried lemon peel
• 1 cup blueberries
• 1 large egg
• 1/4 cup butter, melted
• 1/4 cup honey
• 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flours, oats, sugar, lemon verbena, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and lemon peel.
3. Gently fold in the blueberries.
4. In a small bowl, add the egg, melted butter, and honey; beat with a whisk until blended.
5. Stir in the buttermilk.
6. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, stirring just until moist.
7. Spoon the batter into twelve muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
8. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Remove the muffins from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
Click here for the main article,Full-bodied Flavor.
Kris Wetherbee is a freelance writer and frequent contributor to The Herb Companion. She lives in the hills of western Oregon with her photographer husband Rick Wetherbee.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE