When it comes to garden décor and landscaping, many people like to take things into their own hands, which seems to be fine considering that you are aware of some of the basic principles of landscaping. However, it should be remembered that these landscape design tips would help you in not only demarcating boundaries and getting a gorgeous garden, but also helps with easier maintenance in the long run.
Photo by Shutterstock
One of the most critical mistakes of landscape design would be not adhering to boundaries. Do remember that like the rest of your home, your outdoor area needs to be divided via physical or even some decorative boundaries. This is important because you do not want areas to get interconnected and then end up with trouble fixing them. For example, if the patio area is covered with too much grass on the sides, then it will mean cleaning hassles and the inflow of insects and other elements into your home. Hence, you need to strike a balance between restricting areas and letting them interconnect. Here are ideas that can help:
• Reduce the clutter on the patio from there on making sure that the landscape design is more about plants and other decorative elements.
• You can encircle a driveway turn around with a path or fountain, if space permits.
• Do not merge too many things, as it would seem a mess. Let each landscape design stand on its own while maintaining a flow.
Photo by Shutterstock
There is an important feature in landscape design, but do not worry: it is not something that you cannot handle. It implies that any kind of architectural elements, like the door or the foyer, help create an imaginary boundary. This is particularly useful in outdoor areas and landscape design.
• You can have a prominent tree as a landscape feature and place a bench underneath for lounging.
• In the same way, having boulders along the driveway is not an interruptive feature, but helps mark the boundaries subtly.
• Along the way to the swimming pool, if you do not want any balustrades then opt for a natural stone, which is slightly elevated and can then, also, move on to the garden.
These are just a few simple ideas on landscape design. Along with this, here are some other principles that you should try to follow:
• Get the proportions right. Unless you are confident with the imaginary design, you may end up with a piece that is shoddy looking rather than gorgeous.
• Also, try to start with smaller scale projects instead of renovating the entire place at once. For instance, you can start with the flower bed, then move on to simple ideas like a stone bench or even using pebbles to set up a Zen garden. Later, move on to driveway renovation and other larger areas.
Ensure that you have a plan in mind regarding your budget and all that you want to do. This will help you delegate and devote time to each section as per your requirements. Moreover, gradually, you will be able to create that perfect landscape design that you’ve always wanted without having to spend a lot on hiring experts and professionals landscape designer.
Adam Wilson is a writer who shares his experience by providing valuable information about home improvement, business, health, automotive and fashion subjects in order to help readers gain more awareness. He also loves to help people grow their visibility online. Follow Adam on Twitter or Google+.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE