October is Fair Trade Month. Do you know what that means?
October is fair trade month. Celebrate by taking our quiz and finding out how much you know about the fair trade market.
1. What products are third-party certified as Fair Trade?
a. Clothing, fabrics and textiles
c. Food such as tea, coffee and rice
2. What does the Fair Trade logo promise?
a. That farmers and other workers received a fair price for their goods
b. That no animals were harmed in creating the product
c. That the workers are treated fairly by their employers
3. How does Fair Trade affect communities?
a. Helps provide economic stability for poor rural communities
b. Allows communities to invest money in schools and local medical programs
c. Allows farmers to maintain the quality of their products
d. All of the above
4. True or False? All organic products are considered Fair Trade.
1. c. Foods are certified by TransFair USA, the only independent, third-party certifier of Fair Trade products in the United States. However, you also will see the Fair Trade Federation logo on items such clothing, crafts, baskets and rugs. The Fair Trade Federation is an association of wholesalers, retailers and producers committed to providing living wages to economically disadvantaged artisans worldwide.
2. a. Farmers are paid appropriately. Fair Trade coffee farmers can make up to three times more than their non-Fair Trade counterparts.
3. d. All of the above. For more information, check TransFairUSA.org and FairTradeFederation.org.
4. False. Most Fair Trade products are organically grown, but not all organic products carry the Fair Trade logo.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE