10 ways to spruce up your home’s most-used spaces
1. Neil Kelly uses Forest Stewardship Council–certified Smartwood, recycled woods, wheatboard, natural oils and low-VOC paints in its cabinets. Cost is competitive with mid- to higher-range conventional cabinetry. (503) 288-6345.
2. Sunbeam’s hand-poured beeswax and soy candles are made in a solar- and wind-powered shop in Van Etten, New York. From $7 each. (607) 589-7375.
3. Sears’ Energy Star-rated Kenmore Elite bottom-freezer refrigerators were rated “tops in 2005” by the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy. Available at Sears stores or online. $2,200. (800) 349-4358.
4. Cusp Natural Products makes reusable coffee filters and tea bags from hemp, a natural fiber that’s three times stronger than cotton. $4 to $7 each. (877) 464-2877.
5. Recycled bathroom and kitchen fixtures bring character into any home. The Old House Web lists architectural salvage operations that sell sinks, tubs, medicine chests and more. (207) 430-0267.
6. Seventh Generation makes bathroom tissue, paper towels and facial tissue from recycled paper without chlorine bleach. Available online or in natural-food stores and supermarkets. From $2.49 per package. (802) 658-3773.
7. IceStone fabricates its spectacular, durable surfaces, available in 25 colors, from recycled glass and concrete. From $95 a square foot, installed. (718) 624-4900.
8. Native Organic Cotton’s organic cotton bath towels are colored using the cotton fiber’s natural hues or low-impact blue dyes. Bath towel: $36. (800) 766-7454.
9. Forbo’s Marmoleum—made from linseed oil, rosins and wood flour—is antimicrobial, so it prevents germs from multiplying on its surface. Available in 12-by-12-inch squares ($5 to $6.50 per square foot, installed) or 36-by-12-inch panels ($5 to $9 per square foot, installed). (866) 627-6653.
10. Flower Peddler’s soaps lather up in herbal scents such as lavender, peppermint, apple cinnamon and rosemary-mint—and they’re packed with skin-friendly glycerin and essential fatty acids. $5.25 per bar. (888) 569-7627.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE