February 2020 Could-Do Calendar
1. Whether it’s a walk around the neighborhood or a cross-country ski trip, find a way to be active outdoors this month.
2. Relax and recharge on February 9, Read in the Bathtub Day.
3. February 14 isn’t just Valentine’s Day; it’s also Ferris Wheel Day! Celebrate George Washington Gale Ferris Jr. and his invention by hopping on to ride with a loved one.
4. Replace just one harmful product in your life with a plastic-free alternative, such as a bamboo toothbrush, cloth grocery bag, or beeswax food wrap.
5. 2020 is a leap year! Make the most of your extra 24 hours this February 29.
Monitor your histamine intake with these simple, healthy dishes that pack plenty of palate-pleasing flavor.
Salsify, Vegetable Oyster, Goatsbeard
The salsifies are spring weeds.Three species are found all over North America, introduced from Europe. Salsify, also called vegetable oyster and oyster plant, Tragopogon porrifolius, is a purple-flowered plant with a flower shaped like a dandelion, narrow leaves, and a seed head like a large dandelion (about the size of a tennis ball). Meadow salsify, […]
Foraging for Sustainability and Nourishment: Spotlight Garlic Mustard
by Linda Conroy Garlic Mustard (Alliaria petiolata) is a plant that is often identified as a nuisance. Gardeners and farmers work to eradicate it and fail to see the potential food source that this plant offers. While I understand that it is quite vigorous and it does exude sinigrin a chemical that inhibits other plants, […]