In Paper Parties (Pavilion, 2017) by Erin Hung, readers will find a number of paper crafting projects for many different occasions. Take the time to craft unique and colorful paper decorations to use around the house or for party decorations. Find projects ranging from doughnut and cupcake toppers to Thank You cards, there is something there for everyone. This excerpt can be found in chapter 3, “Tutorials.”
Not only can these holders house cutlery, there is also a little pocket for condiments. Write your guests’ names on the brown Kraft paper insert so they can double up as place names for a sit-down dinner.
Materials to make 1 holder
- Double-sided patterned paper (1 sheet, A4 size)
- Brown Kraft paper (1 sheet, A5 size)
- Cutlery and condiments
- Double-sided tape
- Place the patterned paper in front of you with the long edges vertical.
- Measure 17cm (6-3/4in) from the top edge and fold the paper downwards.
- Measure 6cm (2-1/2in) from the bottom edge and fold the paper upwards (don’t unfold this time).
- Refold the top of the paper down again.
- Turn the paper over so that the folded ‘pocket’ is uppermost and at the bottom, then set aside.
- Place the Kraft paper in front of you with the long edges horizontal.
- Measure 4cm (1-1/2in) from the top edge and fold the paper downwards to the back of the sheet.
- Insert the Kraft paper into the patterned paper pocket, with the folded edge of the Kraft paper at the top.
- Push the Kraft paper right to the base of the pocket and align the left and right edges.
- Measure 7cm (2-3/4in) from the right edge and fold backwards.
- Measure 5mm (1/4in) from the left edge and fold backwards, then measure a further 4.5cm (1-3/4in) from the left edge and fold backwards.
- Turn the cutlery holder over so the back is facing you.
- Use double-sided tape to secure the double-folded edge on top of the single-folded edge, and to attach the front and back layers at the top of the holder together.
- Trim the top edge to neaten if necessary.
- Tuck your cutlery and condiments inside.
Extracted from Paper Parties by Erin Hung, Published by Pavilion. Photographs by Charlotte Tolhurst and Lana Louw.