Clean up clutter with this simple DIY project, a great use for wood from downed branches.
For those of us constantly on the go, keeping clutter in check can be tough. Extra knickknacks, papers and, especially, small items such as keys create excessive visual stimuli and distraction, as well as feelings of frustration when we can’t find what we need when we need it.
Having a designated spot for specific items provides consistency, and helps encourage overall organization. Key holders, which come in all shapes, sizes and colors, are one useful way to simplify a busy life by letting you quickly grab what you need on your way out the door, rather than losing precious time searching a table or digging through a bag.
Making your own useful, stylish wall hook is a simple process, as demonstrated in this project from designer and Oh So Lovely blogger Audrey Kuether. With a rustic reclaimed wood slice and colorful paint of your choosing, you can create a spot for your keys that’s convenient and stylish with minimal work.
Use this project as a way to recycle a downed tree limb, use up leftover firewood or even hold on to a piece of a holiday tree trunk for a useful household item that doubles as a keepsake.
• Wood slice in your desired size
• Acrylic paint or milk paint (such as Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint or The Real Milk Paint Co.) in two coordinating colors
• Gold metallic wax
• Masking or washi tape
• Gold screw hooks
• Removable picture hangers, or nail, hook and hammer (to hang key holder)
1. Tape off your geometric shapes for painting. Triangles are easy and look modern.
2. Paint in two of the triangular shapes in two coordinating colors.
3. Paint two coats of each color. Allow to dry. Once dry, peel back the tape.
4. To fill in the taped-over areas, move washi tape down and paint in the negative space. Allow to dry.
5. Tape off around the perimeter of the wood slice to create a small border around the edge. Paint the border with gold wax (or any contrasting color). Allow to dry, then peel back tape.
6. Handscrew gold screw hooks (two or three depending on size of wood slice) wherever you wish.
7. Use picture hangers or a nail and hook to attach to the wall.
Subscribe to Mother Earth Living !
Welcome to Mother Earth Living, the authority on green lifestyle and design. Each issue of Mother Earth Living features advice to create naturally healthy and nontoxic homes for yourself and your loved ones. With Mother Earth Living by your side, you’ll discover all the best and latest information you want on choosing natural remedies and practicing preventive medicine; cooking with a nutritious and whole-food focus; creating a nontoxic home; and gardening for food, wellness and enjoyment. Subscribe to Mother Earth Living today to get inspired on the art of living wisely and living well.
Save Money & a Few Trees!
Pay now with a credit card and take advantage of our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. You’ll save an additional $5 and get six issues of Mother Earth Living for just $19.95! (Offer valid only in the U.S.)
Or, choose Bill Me and pay just $24.95.