Soothing Scalp Solution
Photo from Adobe Stock/elena
Makes enough for 2 applications
An inadequate diet, poor hydration, use of chemical shampoos or underlying conditions such as eczema and psoriasis can all result in irritated, flaky skin on the scalp. Medicated shampoos can sometimes offer a short-term fix, but avoid using them long term because often the problem will come back worse.
If the scalp is a particularly problematic area for you, try this combination of essential oils, which can soothe and calm dry, irritated skin. In fact, jojoba isn’t an oil but a mix of liquid wax esters that, structurally and chemically, closely resemble human sebum, which means it doesn’t clog pores. It makes a great carrier for the essential oils here.
- 3 tablespoons jojoba oil
- 10 drops lavender oil
- 8 drops tea tree oil
- 8 drops rosemary oil
For the rinse:
- 500ml warm water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Photo from Adobe Stock/vainillaychile
- Mix together the oils thoroughly.
- Take a shower to wet your hair and scalp but don’t use shampoo. Using the tips of your fingers, massage the oil into your damp hair and scalp.
- Cover with a shower cap or wrap your head in a towel and leave for an hour or two.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water. Shampoo gently. Then, as a final rinse, use a 500ml jug of warm water with the apple cider vinegar stirred in.
Use every other day until the flakes on your scalp begin to reduce. Then switch to using once a week.
More from Radiant:
- Super-Seed Quinoa Loaf Recipe
- Hydrating Watermelon Salad Recipe
- Pineapple Mint Mojito Recipe
- Scar-Reduction Combination Recipe
The Scary Herbs of Halloween
Get the scoop on the spookiest fruits and herbs of Halloween folklore.
Homemade Ginger Tincture Recipe
Use this recipe to preserve ginger by making an extract you can use in a heart-opening elixir.
Herb to Know: Valerian
Try this soothing herb for sweeter sleep.