Relieve minor ailments at home with these quick home remedies.
• Drink chamomile tea, 3 cups a day.
• Take valerian tincture, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon up to three times daily.
• Take a bath with 10 drops of lavender essential oil or place a drop of lavender oil on a tissue and inhale as desired.
• To dry a blister, soak a gauze pad in witch hazel, lay it over the blister and cover with an adhesive bandage. After blister has broken, wash with echinacea extract diluted with an equal amount of water. Finally, apply calendula-comfrey salve and cover with an adhesive bandage.
• Immediately apply ice to relieve pain and swelling.
• Apply arnica cream or gel (find it at Peaceful Mountain) twice daily.
• Immediately immerse the affected area in cold water until the burning sensation subsides. Then apply aloe vera gel mixed with lavender essential oil (5 drops of lavender oil mixed with 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel).
• For sunburn, soak in a cool bath with 10 drops of lavender essential oil.
• Replenish lost fluids and soothe the digestive tract with chamomile or ginger tea.
• For diarrhea caused by infectious microorganisms, take 1 capsule of goldenseal three times daily for up to two weeks (avoid if pregnant).
• To boost immunity and fight infection, take 1 dropperful of echinacea tincture four times daily.
Treat Insect Bites and Stings:
• Cleanse bites with echinacea extract.
• Apply a drop of undiluted peppermint or lavender oil to relieve itching and disinfect.
• Mix clay with enough water to make a paste, and apply to the bites to relieve itching and draw out toxins.
• Drink a cup of warm chamomile tea.
• For stronger sedative action, take up to 1 teaspoon of valerian tincture before bed.
• Take a warm bath with 10 drops of lavender essential oil.
Jet Lag Prevention:
• Take eleuthero (100 mg standardized extract) three times daily for one week or more before traveling and for one week or longer following the flight.
Strains and Sprains Relief:
• Immediately elevate and apply an ice pack to the affected area to reduce swelling and inflammation. After 24 hours, apply hot compresses to increase circulation and speed healing.
• Soak in a hot bath with 5 drops of eucalyptus essential oil.
• Apply arnica cream or gel to the affected area three times daily.
Looking for more natural remedies? Read Natural Remedies for Your Medicine Cabinet.