This recipe from Columbus, Ohio bartender and cocktail crafter Cris Dehlavi is based on the classic poinsettia holiday cocktail.
• 2 ounces gin (i like sustainably produced Botanist Gin)
• 1 ounce hibiscus syrup
• 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
• Champagne or sparkling wine
• Lemon zest for garnish (optional)
• 2 cups water
• 2 cups sugar in the raw
• 1 cup dried hibiscus flowers (Hibiscus sabdariffa var. sabdariifa)
• Peel of 1 orange
1. Shake all ingredients with ice, then strain into champagne flute.
2. Top with champagne or sparkling wine. If you wish, garnish with lemon peel zested over top of drink.
1. Combine water, sugar and flowers in a saucepan.
2. Heat on low until sugar is dissolved, about 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add orange peel. Allow to cool, then strain out all pieces of flower and orange. Chill in refrigerator for up to 1 week.