Photo by Getty Images/Anna-Ok
Herbal infusions are really terrific for treating conditions like acne, rosacea, dryness, and so on. If your skin is troubling you, splash or rub some herb-infused water, vinegar, or diluted tincture on your skin after you wash it. Here are some suggested combinations:
- Acne: peppermint and birch bark-infused vinegars with a few drops of lavender oil
- Also acne: witch hazel extract infused with sage and lemon balm, plus 10 drops tea tree oil (per cup of infusion)
- Eczema: strong infusion of equal parts chamomile, nettles, and calendula with about a spoonful of Epsom salts dissolved in it.
- Dry Skin: rose-infused water with a spoonful of honey and a few finely ground almonds
- Irritated skin: equal parts water and aloe vera juice. Infuse the water with comfrey and calendula.
- Rosacea: water or vinegar infused with oatmeal (wrap some in a bag, like you’re making tea), chamomile and licorice.
- Rough skin: vinegar infused with birch bark, rose, and chamomile flowers. You can also replace the birch bark with one or two crushed aspirin tablets.
More from Make Your Place:
- Herbal Kitchen Cleaners
- Herbal Recipes for Ear, Nose, and Eye Health
- Herbal Remedies for Menstrual Symptoms
Cover courtesy of Microcosm Publishing
Excerpted with permission from Make Your Place: Affordable, Sustainable Nesting Skills by Raleigh Briggs, published by Microcosm Publishing, 2nd ed. 2018.