- 1 teaspoon yarrow
- 1/2 teaspoon catnip
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint (or spearmint)
- 2 cups water
- Try using a 1/2 cup of each herb instead to prepare an infusion and pour it into a warm bath for the child. This is a great solution for babies too young to drink this tea.
- Boil 2 cups of water.
- Place the herbs into a tea ball or fine strainer.
- Once boiling, pour the water over the herbs and steep for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the herbs and discard.
- Sweeten the tea lightly, if desired, and serve. This tea will keep 2 to 3 days in the fridge.
Dosing - Children can drink this tea freely until they feel better. Or give one infused bath, once or twice per day, until the fever goes away completely.
Good to Treat - Fevers
Contraindications - Do not give to children under 1 year of age in tea form; use it in a bath instead. Do not use with pregnant women. Nursing women may use it in bath form, or with the peppermint omitted.
More from Natural Remedies For Kids:• Cough and Throat Drops • Lemon Sports Drink • Safely Using Herbs
Reprinted with permission from Natural Remedies For Kids by Kate Tietje and Bob Zajac, M.D. and published by Fair Winds Press, 2015.
Natural Remedies For Kids (Fair Winds Press, 2015) by Kate Tietje and Bob Zajac, M.D is an easy-to-use illustrated reference guide for parents who are ready to take their families’ health into their own hands by using more than 100 natural and herbal remedies to help common ailments at home.
When your child has a fever, you want to help him or her feel better, fast. This gentle, natural tea can help to reduce the fever, naturally, without interfering with the body’s ability to fight off the illness.
Yarrow – Yarrow is the go-to herb for fevers. It helps to open pores so the body can release extra heat naturally.
Catnip – Catnip helps children relax and also increases sweating, which helps lower fevers.
Peppermint – Peppermint, too, helps to open pores and increase sweating, plus it has a pleasant taste that most children like. You may use spearmint instead, if you prefer.