Chai contains some of the world’s healthiest spices, including cinnamon, ginger and cloves. If you prefer, omit the milk and honey and offer them separately.
Basic Black Chai Recipe
• 1-1⁄2 cups cold water
• One 2-inch piece cinnamon stick, broken
• 2 heaping teaspoons black tea
• Seeds of 3 cardamom pods
• One 1⁄4-inch-thick slice fresh ginger
• 3 whole cloves
• 2 black peppercorns
• 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 cup milk
• 1 to 2 tablespoons honey or sugar
1. Bring water to a boil in small saucepan. Add cinnamon, cover, remove from heat; steep 2 minutes. Return pan to heat; bring to a boil. Add tea, spices, milk, and honey or sugar; cover, and remove from heat. Steep 3 minutes.
2. Pour mixture through fine wire-mesh strainer into warm teapot, discarding solids. Garnish with cinnamon sticks.
Discover more healing teas in Tea Time: 10 Herbal Teas for Health.