Why buy a sports drink? Make your own!
Most people know that it is important to replace minerals as well as lost water after exercising, but most electrolyte drinks contain only sodium and potassium rather than all the minerals our bodies need to be healthy.
You can make your own mineral-rich herbal electrolyte drink by combining the herbs on the right. This nourishing tea contains:
• antioxidants such as vitamin E, carotenes, and selenium, which have been shown to slow aging.
• B vitamins, which support the functioning of the liver and nervous system.
• calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, chromium, potassium, silica, and other trace minerals. Calcium and magnesium help build healthy bones, ease muscle spasms and cramping, and reduce inflammation. Zinc enhances immune system functioning, while chromium helps regulate blood-sugar levels.
Another benefit of drinking this herbal infusion is healthy, beautiful hair and nails, due to the high mineral content. Giving our bodies the nutrients they need improves our energy and vitality. Enjoy!
HERBAL ELECTROLYTE DRINK
You can drink this herbal tea hot or cold. Sweeten as you desire. You can also mix it with juice or add other herbs, such as peppermint, for flavoring.
• 1 part nettles (Urtica dioica)
• 1 part oatstraw (Avena sativa)
• 1 part red clover (Trifolium pratense)
• 1 part alfalfa (Medicago sativa)
• 1 part rose hips (Rosa spp.)
1. Mix all the herbs together in a lidded container and store away from light and heat.
2. When you’re ready to mix a fresh batch, put 1 ounce of the dried herb mix (about 1 cup) in a clean quart canning jar. Fill the jar with boiling water and cover with a lid.
3. After steeping for four hours, strain out the herbs. The infusion will last about three days in the refrigerator.
Lorene Wapotich is a clinical herbalist in Boulder, Colorado. She is a faculty member at the Rocky Mountain Center for Botanical Studies, where she also serves as the assistant director of the Advanced Clinical Program. Lorene is director of Dandelion Adventures, which offers wilderness journeys for women that integrate nature awareness, ceremony, and Earth-centered herbalism.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE