This Honey Bath Tablets recipe creates a soothing home bath using natural herbs and botanicals.
Try this Honey Bath Tablets recipe for a soothing, refreshing bath experience.
These scented bath tablets dissolve in your warm bath creating a soothing and peaceful environment. Honey is one of my favorite bath additives all by itself. Combined with natural ingredients such as sea salt, clay or dried herbs, it will help restore moisture to the skin. I do not suggest doubling this recipe as the tablets must be molded while the mixture is still warm. I like to make different shapes for holiday gift-giving. I place a few tablets inside a clear cellophane bag and tie it closed with a festive bow. You will need a candy thermometer, as the correct temperature is critical in this recipe, and plastic candy molds or ice cube trays for shaping your bath tablets.
• 1/2 cup fine-grained sea salt or table salt
• 1 tablespoon white clay
• 1/2 tablespoon dried herb leaves or flower petals (see variations below)
• 1/2 cup pure honey
1. Place salt, clay and herb leaves or flowers in a ceramic bowl or food processor bowl.
2. Heat honey to 300 degrees. This can be done in the microwave, checking the temperature in 1-minute intervals (should take 3 to 4 minutes total); or on the stovetop, stirring honey until temperature reads 300 degrees.
3. Pour hot honey over dry ingredients and stir well. You can do this with a few pulses of your food processor.
4. Spoon the mixture into your candy molds, pressing mixture into molds with the back of your spoon. Let the tablets cool completely. I sometimes place them in the freezer to speed up this part of the process.
5. Unmold your tablets onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Store them in an airtight container. To use: Place one in your bath as you are filling it. Yield: 8 ounces, 6 to 8 bath tablets (depending on the size of your molds.)
A few variations:
Change the scent and color of your tablets by adding different herbs, spices and essential oils. Here are a few to try:
• Total relaxation: 1 teaspoon each dried lavender flowers, marjoram leaves and chamomile daisies.
• For men only: 1 teaspoon each dried orange peel and dried bay leaves, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice.
• Pure joy: 1 teaspoon each dried mint and lavender, 2 to 3 drops sweet orange essential oil, 1 to 2 drops peppermint essential oil.
• Love potion: 2 teaspoons dried rose petals, 1 small piece vanilla bean, 2 to 3 drops ylang ylang oil.
Adapted with permission from Natural Beauty from the Garden: More than 200 Do-It-Yourself Beauty Recipes and Garden Ideas by Janice Cox.
Janice Cox is a longtime gardener and Herb Companion contributor.
Read more about bath recipes using natural ingredients: Herb and Botanical Bath Recipes.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE