This cocoa butter lip balm recipe makes use of one of the best ingredients for skin.
Lip balms are simpler to make at home than you might think.
Lip balms are simpler to make at home than you might think. Create yours with one of the best ingredients for skin: cocoa butter. This creamy ingredient has a mild chocolate scent and naturally conditions and protects lips. For more DIY beauty recipes like this one, read the original article, 6 Basic Homemade Beauty Products.
• 1⁄2 teaspoon grated beeswax
• 1 teaspoon grated cocoa butter
• 1⁄2 teaspoon light, unrefined oil (almond, walnut and sunflower all work well)
1. In a small heat-resistant dish, combine ingredients over low heat on a stovetop or in the microwave until mixture begins to melt. Heat slowly, making sure not to scorch wax.
2. Remove from heat and stir until completely melted. Pour into a small, clean container with a lid. Allow mixture to cool and harden before putting on the lid.
3. To use: Rub a small amount onto your lips. Makes 1⁄2 ounce.
■ Extra Flavor: Add a few drops of a flavored oil such as sweet orange, vanilla or raspberry after the mixture has cooled. These oils are used in cooking and can be found in the baking aisle of most stores.
■ Color Burst: For a punch of color, add a few pinches of dried beet root powder after the mixture has been removed from heat, but before it has completely cooled.
■ Nourishing: Swap cocoa butter with African shea butter, another well-known lip conditioner, to care for cracked lips.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE