This Aloe and Calendula Cleansing Cream removes makeup, dirt and grime, and has powerful moisturizing, hydrating and anti-inflammatory properties.
Remove makeup, dirt and grim with this soothing and hydrating aloe and calendula cleansing cream.
This cleansing cream removes makeup, dirt and grime, and has powerful moisturizing, hydrating and anti-inflammatory properties. It’s soothing to damaged skin and doubles as a fabulous face and body cream and after-sun treatment. If you’re using it as a face moisturizer, you’ll need only a pea-sized dollop of product. Use it as needed for the body. No refrigeration is required if used within 30 days. If your storage area is very warm, please use within 3 weeks for maximum potency and freshness. For more on keeping your skin hydrated naturally, read the original article, Natural Moisturizers for Winter Skin Care.
• 1/4 cup almond, sunflower or soybean oil
• 2 tablespoons coconut oil (extra-virgin, unrefined)
• 2 tablespoons beeswax
• 1 teaspoon anhydrous lanolin
• 1/4 cup pure aloe vera juice
• 3 tablespoons strong calendula blossom or chamomile flower tea (you can substitute distilled water or your favorite hydrosol)
• 1 tablespoon vegetable glycerin
• 1 large (2 small) vitamin E oil capsules
• 15 drops lavender essential oil
• 15 drops rosemary or geranium essential oil
• 8 drops calendula essential oil, optional
1. In a small saucepan over low heat or in a double boiler, warm the base oils, beeswax and lanolin until the wax is just melted. In another pan, lightly warm the aloe vera juice, tea and vegetable glycerin.
2. Remove both pans from heat and pour the oils, wax and lanolin mixture into the blender, and allow it to cool until it just begins to thicken and becomes slightly opaque. It will take approximately 5 to 10 minutes to set like a soft, loose salve, depending on the temperature of your kitchen. As it thickens, give the mixture a few stirs to remove any lumps and incorporate any of the mixture that sticks to the sides of the blender. Do not allow this mixture to get too thick or you may have a difficult time getting it out of your blender.
3. Place the lid on the blender and remove the lid’s plastic piece. Turn the blender on high and slowly drizzle the watery juice, tea and glycerin mixture through the center of the lid into the vortex of swirling fats below. Almost immediately the cream will turn pale yellow and begin to thicken. Blend for about 10 to 15 seconds until all the watery mixture has been added, then check the consistency of the cream. It should have a smooth texture. If the water mixture is not properly combining with the oils, wax and lanolin mixture, turn off the blender and give the cream a few manual stirs with a spatula to free up the blender blades. Then, replace the lid and blend on medium for another 5 to 10 seconds. Repeat this process until cream is smooth.
4. Pierce the vitamin E capsule and squeeze the contents into the cream, add the essential oils, then blend completely another 5 seconds until the cream is smooth and thick.
Note: If the temperature of your kitchen is above 76 degrees, the cream will maintain a softer consistency. (Coconut oil turns from solid to liquid at 76 degrees). If your kitchen is below 76 degrees, the cream will be firmer.
5. Pour the finished cream into a storage container. Lightly cover each container with a paper towel and allow the cream to cool for about 30 minutes before capping. If, after a few hours or days, water begins to separate from your cream, don’t worry. You can pour off the watery liquid and use the resulting product as a foot, elbow or knee balm. The mixture can separate if the fat temperature and water temperature are not relatively equal and cool enough when the two portions are blended.
6. Using a soft cloth, cleansing pad or your fingers, apply approximately 1/2 to 1 teaspoon to cover entire face, throat, and décolleté. Makes 1 cup.
Recipe excerpted from Organic Body Care Recipes (c) Stephanie Tourles. Used with permission of Storey Publishing.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE