Synthetic fragrances make up many conventional perfumes, and many, if not most, of these fragrances are derived from petroleum. We don’t have to rely on synthetic chemicals to smell good. Historically, perfumes were made by steeping flowers in a jar with alcohol and a small amount of oil. Use this timeless practice to make cologne water at home. It is much lighter than perfume and perfect for daytime use. The following blends make a great starting point. Experiment to devise your own signature scent. For more DIY beauty recipes, read the original article, 6 Basic Homemade Beauty Products.
Homemade Perfume Recipe
• 1/4 cup natural alcohol such as vodka or witch hazel
• 1/4 cup distilled or boiled water
• 2 to 3 drops each of your favorite essential oils (see variations below for some ideas)
1. Mix ingredients together. Pour into a clean container.
2. To use: Spray or splash the scented cologne onto your skin. Makes 4 ounces.
■ Floral: Rose, frangipani, jasmine, violet and lilac
■ Spice: Cinnamon, ginger, clove and allspice
■ Wood: Pine, cedar and sandalwood
■ Fruit: Lemon, orange, peach and coconut
■ Herbal: Lavender, chamomile and sage
■ Exotic: Herbal musk, ylang ylang and vanilla