Makes 14 to 20 cups
Digestive bitters are easy to make and use — simply sip before meals to offset indigestion. The bulk herbs called for in this recipe can be found at health-food stores.
- 1 ounce dried gentian root (Gentiana lutea), cut and sifted
- ½ ounce dried barberry (Berberis vulgaris), cut and sifted
- ½ ounce dried angelica (Angelica archangelica), cut and sifted
- ¼ ounce dried fennel seeds (Foeniculum vulgare), crushed
- ¼ ounce cardamom seeds (Elettaria cardamomum)
- Mix herbs together and store mixture in a dark glass jar away from heat.
- When needed, boil 1 cup of water in a noncorrodible saucepan. Add 1 teaspoon of the herbal mixture and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Let cool, then strain. Drink ½ cup of the bitters twice daily before meals. Try mixing the tea with sparkling water for a treat.