This Cayenne- and Ginger- Infused Oil Recipe harnesses the medicinal properties of its main ingredients in order to increase circulation for quicker healing and much more.
Use this cayenne- and ginger-infused oil recipe to speed up circulation for quicker healing or in a pain-relieving cream for sore muscles and aches.
Photo by Fotolia/Diana Vyshniakova
In Grow It, Heal It (Rodale, 2013), Christopher Hobbs and Leslie Gardner show how fun, easy, convenient and cost-efficient growing herbs for DIY herbal remedies can be. The following excerpt features a recipe for a cayenne- and ginger-infused oil. Swap out these herbs for an infused oil with different medicinal properties. Find more information about cayenne pepper in The Health Benefits of Cayenne Pepper.
Buy this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Grow It, Heal It.
• 1/2 cup finely ground dried cayenne pepper
• 1/2 cup finely ground ginger root
• 1 1/4 cups almond, jojoba or olive oil
1. In a blender or food processor, combine the herbs and oil.
2. Blend or process until pureed for greater extractability.
3. Pour the mixture into a clean glass jar with a lid, making sure the plant material is completely submerged in the oil. If it's not, add more oil until the herbs are covered by about 1 inch of liquid.
4. Cover the jar and store it in a dark place, shaking it daily, for 2 to 3 weeks. Filter it carefully through cheesecloth, a muslin bag, or a square of linen, gathering up the edges and squeezing out the oil. Compost the herbs.
6. Pour the oil into amber bottles, and label the bottles with the contents and date. Store it in a dark place.
Reprinted from Grow It, Heal It: Natural and Effective Herbal Remedies from Your Garden or Windowsill by Christopher Hobbs and Leslie Gardner. Copyright © 2013 by Christopher Hobbs and Leslie Gardner. By permission of Rodale Books. Available wherever books are sold. Buy this book from our book store: Grow It, Heal It.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE