Winter takes a toll on our skin. Protect and treat your skin with this hydrating face mask.
With a kitchen cupboard full of ingredients, Natural Beauty Alchemy (Countryman Press, 2015) will have you making your own skin care products in no time. Fifi M. Maacaron presents 100 easy-to-make recipes for organic health and beauty products, formulated just for you. The following excerpt is for a Winter Rescue Mask to protect and treat dry skin.
This book can be purchased from the Mother Earth Living store: Natural Beauty Alchemy.
Weather aggression is always noticeable, not only on hands, legs, and lips, but also on the face. This mask contains full-fat cream cheese, which will restore some of the skin’s lipid mantle and help protect skin against weather-induced dryness.
The remaining ingredients will boost skin’s vitality and revive it. While wheat germ oil is extremely nourishing, moisturizing, and anti-aging, grapefruit juice will load your skin with antioxidants and vitamin C for a refreshed and younger-looking skin. Adding egg white is optional but strongly recommended if you wish to have proteins in your mask, as well. Prepare this formula when your skin feels dry and tight, or routinely during winter and harsh weather months.
• 2 ounces (60 ml) full-fat cream cheese, softened
• 1/2 teaspoon honey
• 20 drops (1 ml) wheat germ oil
• 20 drops (1 ml) grapefruit juice
• 1 egg white (optional)
• gauze strips (optional)
1. Allow the cheese to soften at room temperature—do not microwave. Flatten with a fork, and then add remaining ingredients one at a time while mixing with the fork.
2. Spread with a spatula on clean face and neck, directly or between double layers of precut gauze strips. (Prepare the gauze strips ahead of time by laying gauze in double layers and cutting four rectangles for the forehead and neck and four circles for the cheeks.)
3. Lie back or sit in a reclining chair and wait 15–20 minutes before removing gauze pads and rinsing off.
4. Repeat this mask on a weekly basis to sustain results and protect the skin. Follow with the application of daily moisturizer and a sunblock.
Learn more about making beauty products and find recipes in Making Homemade Skin Care Products.
This excerpt has been reprinted with permission from Natural Beauty Alchemy by Fifi M. Maacaron and published by The Countryman Press, a division of W.W. Norton & Company, 2015. Purchase this book from our store: Natural Beauty Alchemy.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE