Whole Beauty (Artisan Books, 2018), by Shiva Rose, is a beginning guide for readers to learn natural recipes and daily rituals for beauty practices. Rose encourages readers to begin on her path in order to grasp techniques, but she also encourages creativity and listening to intuition with the goal in mind to branch out on their own paths. Ritual is at the heart of her book and her practices. Readers can learn to honor themselves and enhance their well-being by drawing attention to details and the time commitment it takes for a successful beauty ritual.
All hair types
As often as you typically shampoo
• 1/4 cup coconut milk
• 1/4 cup liquid castile soap (I like Dr. Bronner’s)
• 20 drops of rosemary or peppermint essential oil
• 1/2 teaspoon olive or almond oil
• Glass jar with stopper
Most traditional shampoos foam up because they are full of sulfates, which can irritate your skin (as you well know if you’ve ever gotten shampoo in your eyes!) and strip your hair of much-needed moisture. This nontoxic shampoo is easy to make. Store it in a glass jar and it will last for a couple of months. You’ll also find that the healthier your hair becomes, the less often you’ll need to shampoo.
1. Combine the coconut milk, soap, essential oil, and olive oil in the glass jar.
2. Shake well before each use, and shampoo as you normally would.