For feet like velvet, treat them to this Lavender Velvet Foot Cream recipe.
This scented cream is a great daily foot treatment, and is one of my favorites.
Find more ways to pamper your feet in Natural Foot Care: DIY Treatments for Healthy Feet.
• 1/2 cup all-vegetable shortening
• 1 teaspoon beeswax
• 3 tablespoons distilled water, rose water, German chamomile tea or lavender tea
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 medium bowl ice cubes
• 15 drops lavender essential oil
• 15 drops rose or geranium essential oil
• 5 drops spearmint essential oil (optional)
1. In a small saucepan, heat shortening and beeswax over very low heat until just melted. Remove saucepan from heat. Set aside.
2. In another small saucepan, warm distilled water and dissolve baking soda in it; remove saucepan from heat. Set aside.
3. When both mixtures have cooled to about the same temperature, set shortening pan into a bowl of ice cubes and add essential oils.
4. Drizzle liquid from the second pan into it, stirring rapidly with a small whisk or spoon. The cream should set up fairly quickly, and look (and feel) like fluffy cake icing.
5. To use: Thickly slather it onto clean feet; put on socks and go to bed. Awaken to “feet of velvet.” Store remainder away from heat or light. There is no need to refrigerate unless weather is hot. It will last about 1 year if chilled, or 3 to 4 months at room temperature. Yield 3/4 cup.
Adapted with permission from Natural Foot Care by Stephanie Tourles.