• Fail: Many contain PVC (polyvinyl chloride), the most environmentally hazardous plastic. (It’s also found in sneakers and boots.)
• Pass: Choose a hemp or recycled rubber backpack from: GreenEarthOfficeSupply.com Hemp-Sisters.com.
PAPER AND NOTEBOOKS
• Fail: Tree-wasting paper that’s bleached with chlorine (creates dioxins).
• Fail: Markers and glue that emit toxic VOCs; crayons containing petroleum products.
• Pass: Soybean crayons, natural glue, biodegradable cornstarch pens, recycled rulers, reclaimed-wood pencils, water-based highlighters and markers: GreenEarthOfficeSupply.com
• Fail: Electronics that contain toxic flame retardants called PBDEs (polybrominated diphenyl ethers).
• Pass: Several manufacturers, including Apple, Dell, Hewlett Packard, Hitachi, IBM, Intel, Motorola, NEC, Sony, and Toshiba, have eliminated PBDEs. (Matsushita/Panasonic is removing brominated flame retardants in 2006.)
For more about safe school supplies, check The Green Guide, a source for practical and reliable environmental health reporting and product reviews.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE