Revamp your current cabinets with these creative ideas.
Cabinets can make or break a kitchen’s look, but replacing a perfectly functional set is a costly endeavor that usually sends waste to the landfill. Revamp your current cabinets with these creative ideas, and save some money and resources in the process.
1. Give cabinets a facelift with a fresh coat of zero-VOC paint in an unexpected shade. In the kitchen pictured above, cabinets painted in YOLO Colorhouse’s Forest .05 complement walls in Leaf .05 (above cabinets) and Clay .02, creating an earthy vibe.
2. Cut out the center door panels and replace them with salvaged glass or vintage chicken wire. Visit doityourself.com for basic instructions, or consult a professional in your area.
3. Whether you want traditional farmhouse style or a modern masterpiece, swapping out hardware is a little fix that makes a big impact. For a list of recycled and reclaimed hardware sources, visit our Resource Guide for Hardware.
4. Get the look of open shelving by removing some (or all) of the upper cabinet doors. Paint interiors an accent color, then fill the shelves with your prettiest dishes.
5. Kitchens are full of boxy items, 90-degree angles and hard surfaces. Soften the room and introduce pattern and texture by replacing the doors beneath your sink with an old-fashioned fabric skirt.
6. Adding trim to boring stock cabinets creates architectural interest, much like adding molding to walls. Check your local salvage shop or Habitat for Humanity ReStore for premade pieces, or make your own using FSC-certified wood.