Make a thoughtful handcrafted gift using this Male Tonic Elixir recipe, an herbal gift for family and friends this holiday season or any time!
Make this Male Tonic Elixir recipe to use as a handcrafted herbal gift for family and friends this holiday season.
• 2 ginseng roots, either American (Panax quinquefolius) or Asian (Panax ginseng)
• 1 ounce fo-ti (Polygonum multiflorum)
• 1/2 ounce dried ginger
• 1/2 ounce damiana (Turnera diffusa)
• 1/2 ounce saw palmetto berries (Serenoa repens)
• 2 slices astragalus root (Astragalus membranaceus)
• 2 cups brandy
• 1/2 cup pure cherry fruit concentrate or honey
1. Crush all of the herbs and cover them with about 2 cups of brandy (or just enough to cover the herbs).
2. Let sit for 2 weeks, shaking daily, then strain.
3. Add fruit concentrate or honey, and bottle. Take 1 tablespoon daily. Makes 2 1/2 cups.
Mindy Green is an herbalist, aromatherapist, educator, and writer. She is also an esthetician, a consultant to the natural products industry, and director of education at the Herb Research Foundation in Boulder, Colorado. She is the author of Calendula (Keats, 1998), Natural Perfumes (Interweave, 1999), and co-author of Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art (The Crossing Press, 1995).
Read more about making herbal holiday gifts: Homemade Holiday Gifts: Herb and Aromatherapy Recipes.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE