Make a thoughtful handcrafted gift using this Bay Rum Aftershave recipe, an herbal gift for family and friends this holiday season or any time!
Make this Bay Rum Aftershave recipe to use as a handcrafted herbal gift for family and friends this holiday season.
• 1 teaspoon whole allspice
• 1 teaspoon whole cloves
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon bark
• 1 teaspoon cardamom pods
• 1 handful crushed bay leaves
• 1/2 cup rum
• Orange flower water
• 10 drops sandalwood essential oil
1. Crush the allspice, cloves, cinnamon, and cardamom with a mortar and pestle, and mix the herbs with the bay leaves.
2. Place the herbs in a clean glass jar, and cover them with the rum.
3. Soak the mixture for 2 weeks, shaking daily.
4. Strain and dilute the liquid with an equal part of orange flower water (available at Middle-Eastern markets and some health-food stores) and 10 drops of sandalwood oil. Makes 1/2 cup.
Mindy Green is an herbalist, aromatherapist, educator, and writer. She is also an esthetician, a consultant to the natural products industry, and director of education at the Herb Research Foundation in Boulder, Colorado. She is the author of Calendula (Keats, 1998), Natural Perfumes (Interweave, 1999), and co-author of Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art (The Crossing Press, 1995).
Read more about making herbal holiday gifts: Homemade Holiday Gifts: Herb and Aromatherapy Recipes.