These sweet roasted nuts are spiced for a delicious snack or dessert topping.
MAKES ABOUT 3 CUPS
Nuts are always a favorite around the holidays, and this recipe is just one of the many combinations you can make with dried, powdered herbs, and spices. If you multiply the recipe, roast the nuts in small batches, well spread out, or they will stick together.
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 tablespoon dried powdered cinnamon
• 1 tablespoon dried powdered ginger
• 1 tablespoon dried powdered turmeric
• 2 medium egg whites
• 1 tablespoon water
• 3 cups whole nuts or halves (such as pecans, walnuts, almonds, or any combination)
1. Preheat the oven to 275° F. 2. Whisk the egg whites and water together in a bowl until foamy. Toss the nuts in the liquid. 3. Drain the nuts well in a strainer. 4. Put the sugar and spices into a resealable plastic bag and shake well to blend. 5. In small batches, toss the nuts in the sugar and spice mix. Shake well. 6. Fish out the nuts with a slotted spoon, shaking off any excess spice mix. 7. Spread the nuts out in a single layer on non-stick cookie sheets. Roast on the center rack of the oven for about 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Watch them carefully so that they don’t burn. Stay close by so you can smell any evidence of burning. If you do, remove the nuts immediately. If you use two sheets full of nuts, one above the other, switch them after half the cooking time so that each cooks evenly. 8. Remove from the oven. Break up any large chunks while nuts are still hot. Cool on the sheets until the nuts are completely dry.
Pack the spiced nuts into glass or ceramic nut or candy dishes. Put each dish in the middle of a large square of plastic wrap. Pull up the corners and twist the wrap around the bowl. Secure with a ribbon. These keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Read the original article: Homemade Herbal Gift Ideas.
Debbie Whittaker, a frequent contributor to The Herb Companion, demonstrates her healthy cooking style as the “Herb Gourmet” in Denver, Colorado.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE