Spicy Mexican Walnut Mix
MAKES ABOUT 4 QUARTS
This recipe makes a good party mix or snack.
• 12 cups bite-size shredded wheat biscuits
• 2 cups walnuts, in large pieces and halves
• 2 egg whites
• 1/2 cup honey
• 1/4 cup chili powder
• 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. In a large bowl, toss together the shredded wheat biscuits and walnuts; set aside.
2. In a small bowl, place the egg whites, honey, chili powder, thyme, salt and cayenne, then stir vigorously with a fork until completely blended.
3. Pour over the walnut mixture and toss energetically and continuously for about 2 minutes.
4. Transfer the mixture to a large baking or roasting pan and bake for about 20 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the walnuts and cereal have browned lightly and smell toasted. If the mixture seems damp or sticky, bake a few minutes longer.
5. Cool to room temperature, then store in airtight container.
One serving equals 1/2 cup and contains 1/2 ounce of walnuts.
Nutritional information per serving: 246 calories; 7.88 g total fat (0.77 g saturated; 4.7 g polyunsaturated; 1.68 g monounsaturated; 28 percent of calories); 5.63 g protein (9 percent of calories); 0 mg cholesterol; 41.5 g carbohydrates (67 percent of calories); 146 mg sodium; 9.8 g fiber.
Source: Walnut Marketing Board
Check out the original article, How to Stay Healthy During the Holidays.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE