Free Me Soup
Recipe by George Sor from Republic of South AfricaSERVES 4
Avocados give this green soup a creamy smoothness.
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 1 medium stalk celery, finely chopped
• 1 large leek, finely chopped
• l cup water
• 4 cloves
• 7 large spinach leaves, finely chopped
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
• 2 large ripe avocados
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon paprika
• Pinch of ground mace
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 4 cups chicken stock
• 1 cup cream
• 1 tablespoon fresh chervil
• 2 teaspoons dried mint
1. Place the onion, celery, leek, and cloves in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Remove the cloves. Add the spinach and chives. Simmer for 7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
3. Peel and seed the avocados. In a medium bowl, mash them with the lemon juice, paprika, mace, salt and pepper.
4. Gradually blend in the cold chicken stock and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Add to the vegetable mixture and stir well.
5. Heat over low heat, stirring in the cream gradually, until the soup is hot but not boiling. Add the chervil and heat a few minutes longer.
6. Serve with a sprinkling of mint.