Photo by HLPhoto/Fotolia
Turmeric is a natural flavor mate to any dried or fresh bean. This is a particularly good way to treat fresh, tender beans. SERVES 4 TO 6
• 1 pound fresh green beans
• 2 to 3 teaspoons olive oil
• 1 teaspoon turmeric
• 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice
• Pinch salt
1. Rinse and trim the beans. Simmer with a few tablespoons of water until just tender (4 to 10 minutes).
2. Drain and return to the pan. Drizzle the remaining ingredients over the beans in the order listed. Toss together and serve hot or warm.
Cornelia Carlson holds a doctorate in biochemistry and is an avid grower and user of herbs. She writes frequently for Herbs for Health and is the author of The Practically Meatless Gourmet (Berkley, 1996). She writes from her home in Arizona.
If you would like to obtain a reference list for this article, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE