If you grill meat or poultry, this sauce adds a flavor boost and may reduce carcinogenic compounds generated by grilling. The recipe is adapted from a study published in a scientific journal (Nutrition and Cancer, 1999). MAKES 2/3 CUP
• 1 tablespoon garlic powder
• 2 teaspoons turmeric
• 2 tablespoons shoyu soy sauce
• 1/2 cup water
1. Put the garlic powder and turmeric in a small bowl. Add the soy sauce and mix to a paste. Stir in the water. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the sauce.
2. In the refrigerator, marinate the meats in the remaining sauce for 4 hours prior to cooking. As you barbecue, baste with the marinade; when cooked, baste with the reserved sauce.
3. The sauce can be refrigerated for up to 2 days prior to use.
Cornelia Carlson holds a doctorate in biochemistry and is an avid grower and user of herbs. She writes frequently for Herbs for Health and is the author of The Practically Meatless Gourmet (Berkley, 1996). She writes from her home in Arizona.
If you would like to obtain a reference list for this article, please e-mail email@example.com.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE