October is here and it's time for soup! Here's a warming vegetable soup that's great for a casual supper or hearty weekend lunch. Anytime you serve it, it's jazzylicious!
Makes 8 servings
• 6 stalks celery, with leaves, chopped
• 1 sweet onion, chopped
• 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or other herb blend
• 8 cups vegetable broth
• 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium tamari
• 3 cups water, plus more as needed
• 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
• 5 medium red potatoes, peeled and chopped
• 5 carrots, chopped
• 2 cups chopped green beans
• 6 large cremini or white button mushrooms, sliced
• 1 can (15 ounces) white beans, drained and rinsed
• Sea salt
• Freshly ground pepper
1. Put the celery, onion, Italian seasoning, and 1⁄4 cup of the broth in a large soup pot over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 8 minutes, adding more broth as needed, 1 tablespoon at a time, if the mixture becomes dry.
2. Stir in the tamari and cook, stirring occasionally, until the celery and onion are tender, about 8 minutes.
3. Stir in the remaining broth, the water, sweet potatoes, red potatoes, carrots, green beans, and mushrooms. Decrease the heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
4. Stir in the white beans and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes longer, adding more water as needed to achieve the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve piping hot.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.