I love to serve this stunning, colorful soup as an elegant first course on a fall night. However, it is also delicious served cold, making it suitable for any time of year. The vegetables are blended to produce a thick, smooth soup that’s low in calories and high in nutrition. It’s very tasty as is, but if you make it a day in advance and store it tightly covered in the refrigerator, the flavors will meld and develop even more. Just note that you may need to add a bit more broth or nondairy milk if you reheat the soup.
Velvety Carrot Soup Recipe
Makes 4 to 6 servings
• 5 large carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
• 3 medium white potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
• 1 cup unsweetened nondairy milk, plus more as needed
• 1 cup vegetable broth, plus more as needed
• 1 teaspoon brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
• 1⁄2 teaspoon reduced-sodium tamari
• Sea salt
• Freshly ground pepper
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Steam the carrots and potatoes until soft but not mushy, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the nondairy milk, broth, brown sugar, Italian seasoning, and tamari and stir to combine.
2. Put half of the mixture in a blender and process until smooth. Pour into a soup pot. Repeat with the remaining mixture, then stir the two batches together.
3. Put the pot over medium-low heat and simmer, stirring often, until heated through, about 10 minutes, adding more broth or nondairy milk to achieve the desired consistency.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with the parsley if desired.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.