For years, my mom has been making a dairy-based version of these cookies for the holidays. Several years ago we decided to create a vegan version, which is as good as—or maybe even better than—the original recipe. These tasty treats are fabulous for a special occasion or afternoon tea!
Makes 16 to 20 cookies
• 1/2 cup vegan margarine
• 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
• 1 cup whole-wheat flour
• 1 cup pecan halves
• 2/3 cup vegan margarine
• 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
• 1-1/2 cups vegan chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. To make the crust, put 1/2 cup vegan margarine, 1 cup brown sugar, and flour in a high-performance blending appliance and process until particles are fine, forming a loose dough. Pour into a nonstick, ungreased 8 x 12 inch baking pan. Press the dough into an even layer, using your hands. Arrange the pecan halves evenly over the unbaked crust.
3. To make the filling, put 2/3 cup vegan margarine and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a small sauce pan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture starts to bubble. Pour the hot filling over the pecans and crust. Bake on the center rack of the oven for 18 to 20 minutes until the pecans are slightly golden.
4. Put the pan on a wire rack and immediately pour the vegan chocolate chips over the pecans and filling. As the chips melt, spread the chocolate evenly over the top of the pecans and filling. (If the chocolate chips do not melt completely, put the pan back in the oven for 30 seconds to 1 minute to melt.)
Cool for 30 minutes and cut into 16 to 20 cookie squares. Stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, the cookies will keep for 4 days.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.