Big chunks of hearty seitan combined with meaty mushrooms makes this sauce a super satisfying choice for topping pasta of any kind. Celery adds delicious flavor without overwhelming this chunky sauce.
Makes 4 to 6 Servings
• 3 cups sliced celery, with leaves
• 1 onion, chopped
• 8 ounces cremini or white button mushrooms, chopped
• 2/3 cup filtered or spring water
• 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
• 1/2 teaspoon reduced-sodium tamari
• 1/8 heaping teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
• 8 ounces seitan, chopped or 8 ounces ground seitan
• 20 to 22 ounces vegan, low fat marinara sauce
• 1 pound tri-color or whole grain bow tie, fusilli or penne pasta
1. Put the celery, onion, 1/3 cup water, Italian seasoning, tamari, and crushed red pepper in a large skillet. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat for 16 to 18 minutes, or until the celery and onions have softened.
2. Add the seitan, marinara and 1/3 cup water, Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the pasta. Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender but firm. Drain the pasta well.
4. Divide the pasta into each of four to six pasta bowls. Top with a generous portion of the seitan sauce. Serve hot.
Chef’s Note: Need to keep it gluten-free? Just substitute your favorite variety of canned beans (drained and rinsed) for the seitan and use gluten-free pasta.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE