Happy Saint Patrick’s Day! Have you caught a leprechaun? Are you wearing your green today? Have you found any four-leaved clovers? Start your Saint Patrick's Day celebration with a great video from Yankee Magazine. Learn how to make Irish Soda Bread, a staple of the Irish diet that dates back to the 1840s, with Yankee senior food editor, Annie Copps.
Howard Lee Puckett
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender flowers
- 1 teaspoon dried mint leaves, crumbled
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 12 ounces dark beer
- 1 teaspoon rolled oats, sunflower seeds or sesame seeds
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, herbs and cheddar in a mixing bowl.
2. Stir in beer and mix until combined.
3. Spread in a greased 8-inch loaf pan; top with rolled oats, raw sunflower seeds or sesame seeds.
4. Bake until golden-brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.