Eat your greens. We’ve all heard that eating plenty of leafy greens throughout the year is a healthful addition to any diet. Kale is available all winter long, so it often takes center stage in my kitchen during cold weather months. But how do you make kale taste good? Hmm… To tell the truth, I sometimes have trouble convincing my husband to eat kale, so, when I first prepared this creamy, all-purpose sauce, I rejoiced. He loved it! This satisfying walnut based creation stands in perfectly for dairy based “cream” sauce and it works well on steamed broccoli too, or as a tasty salad dressing.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
• 1 large bunch kale, washed and very thinly sliced
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
• 1/2 cup water, plus more as needed
• 1/2 teaspoon Italian style seasoning
• 1 teaspoon tamari
• 1 clove garlic, halved
1. Steam the kale until wilted and quite soft but still bright green, for 8 to 12 minutes, depending on the thickness of the leaf. Transfer the kale to a medium bowl.
2. Put the walnuts, water, Italian seasoning, tamari and garlic into a blender and process until creamy in texture, adding more water if needed, two tablespoons at a time, to achieve desired consistency. Pour the sauce over the steamed kale and toss until the kale leaves are evenly coated. Serve immediately.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE