Asparagus is one of the first crops of spring. Paired with rich-tasting vegan hollandaise sauce, it makes the perfect vegetable side dish for any special meal! My grandmother grew asparagus in her backyard, and she often served it with a rich hollandaise sauce that I loved, as a child! So, I came up with this easy-to-prepare vegan version that tastes delicious and is low in fat, too!
Makes 4 to 6 servings
• 1 large bunch asparagus, trimmed
• 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 8 ounces soft regular tofu, drained
• 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1. Fit a steamer basket into a medium sauce pan with a tight-fitting lid. Add 2 inches of cold water, then add asparagus. Cover, and bring to a boil. Steam the asparagus for 4 to 6 minutes or just until crisp-tender.
2. Meanwhile, put the lemon juice, tofu, turmeric, and salt in a blender and process until smooth. Transfer to a small sauce pan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until heated through.
3. Arrange the hot asparagus on a serving platter and pour the sauce over top. Serve immediately.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE