This elegant, flavorful and meaty-tasting dish prepares in 15 minutes from start to finish, making it an ideal entrée to serve at any gathering when you’re short on time.
Seitan Piccata Recipe
Makes 4 servings
• 16 ounces seitan, drained and sliced or cubed
• 1 cup vegetable broth
• 1 teaspoon all-purpose seasoning blend
• Dash cayenne pepper
• 1 large lemon, sliced in half
• 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
• Sea salt, to taste
• Freshly ground pepper, to taste
• Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
1. Put the seitan, vegetable broth, all-purpose seasoning and cayenne pepper in a large skillet. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, squeeze 1-1⁄2 to 2 tablespoons juice from half the lemon. Cut the remaining lemon half into 4 wedges and set aside.
Add 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and the capers to the skillet. Cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and add more lemon juice, if desired. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. To serve, spoon over cooked rice, pasta or quinoa. Garnish with parsley and serve with a lemon wedge on the side.
Amount per serving, based on 4 servings: 161 Calories; 3g Fat; 0g Saturated fat; 28g Protein; 689mg Sodium; 7g Total Carbohydrate; 3g Sugars; 1g Fiber
Recipe from Laura Theodore's Vegan-Ease, © 2015 Laura Theodore, reprinted by permission.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio. Visit Laura on Facebook and follow her on Twitter for daily recipes and tips for serving delicious, plant-based meals.