This tasty breakfast treat is my husband’s favorite! Based on my Mom’s recipe that uses eggs, this vegan version is totally satisfying.
Makes 4 servings
4 slices whole grain bread
1 tablespoon vegan margarine
1 block (15 to 19 ounces) firm tofu, drained
1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (to taste)
1/4 teaspoon tamari
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
Fresh pepper (optional)
1. Place a bread slice on a cutting board. Cut a hole in the center of the bread, about 2 or 3 inches in diameter, using a bread knife or cookie cutter. Continue with all four slices of bread. (Save the bread holes for bread crumbs for use in another recipe.)
2. Spread a bit of vegan margarine on each side of the bread slices. Set two of the bread slices into a large, non-stick fry pan. Turn the heat on medium-low and let the slices begin to brown on one side.
3. Meanwhile, put the tofu in a medium bowl and mash with a potato masher or large fork until crumbly. Add the vegan cheese, turmeric, tamari, sea salt, and pepper. Mash until the tofu resembles the color and texture of cooked, scrambled eggs.
4. Scoop up one quarter of the tofu mixture and place in the center of each bread slice in the pan. Pat down firmly, until the filling is compact inside the “hole.” Cook for 2 minutes and then flip. Cook on the other side for 5 to 7 minutes or until the underside is golden and crispy and the tofu mixture is cooked through. Repeat with other two bread slices.
5. Serve immediately with fresh fruit slices on the side.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE