Baking this chili in the oven makes it super-simple for a weeknight meal. This recipe is easily doubled or tripled if you’re feeding a crowd. For extra pizazz, top each serving with a generous dollop of vegan sour cream.
Oven-Baked Two-Bean Chili Recipe
Makes 4 servings
• 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
• 2 medium sweet onions, chopped
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 heaping tablespoon unsulphured blackstrap molasses, plus more as needed
• 1/3 cup organic catsup, plus more as needed
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup sliced scallions
• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Put all of the chili ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine.
3. Pour the mixture into a medium casserole dish. Cover and bake for 35 minutes.
4. Remove the chili from the oven and stir it. If the chili seems dry, add more molasses or catsup to achieve the desired consistency. Cover and bake for 10 to 20 minutes more, or until bubbling and browned around the edges. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool 10 minutes before serving.
5. Serve the chili in deep bowls, topped with scallions. Dust with chili powder, if using.
For more recipes and information or to purchase Jazzy Vegetarian cookbooks, visit Laura's website.
Recipe used with permission from Ben Bella Books © 2013, Laura Theodore, the Jazzy Vegetarian, host and creator of Jazzy Vegetarian on PBS, and author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine That's Easy and Delicious.