For your next family gathering, whip up a batch of zesty and delicious mini pound cakes. This perfect-for-parties baked dessert is made even more nutritious with the addition of bulgur, a Middle Eastern grain high in fiber and protein. More traditionally used in savory side dishes such as tabbouleh or kibbeh, or as a substitute for rice, bulgur can be reconstituted without cooking, although you can also cook it in boiling water, making the grains a little fluffier if you choose to. But most surprising, you can use this nutty grain in your baking. It tastes especially delicious in these adorably sized pound cakes.
Enjoy this recipe, courtesy Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods, with a heaping scoop of berries and a dollop of whip cream. Check back next week for another great recipe from Bob’s Red Mill.
• 1 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup butter
• 2 eggs
• Zest and juice from 1 lemon
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Bulgur (cooked and cooled)
• 3/4 cup powdered sugar
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cupcake tins.
2. Mix together sugar and butter.
3. Add eggs (well-beaten), lemon juice and zest. Mix well.
4. Add salt, flour and baking powder. Mix well. Mix in milk. Fold in cooked bulgur.
5. Spread batter evenly amongst 12 cupcake molds. Bake for 15 minutes.
6. While pound cakes are in the coven, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice to make the optional glaze. Keep refrigerated until the pound cakes come out of the oven and cool down.
7. To serve, drizzle with glaze if desired. Makes 12 cupcakes.
Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods offers a diverse line of more than 400 all-natural, organic and gluten-free flours, cereals, meals and mixes for pancakes, breads and soups that are available all around the world.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE