One of the first crops of spring, asparagus makes a refreshing salad, adding color and crunch to any meal. It makes a nice light lunch perched on top of a bed of lettuce or presents an enticing first course to an elegant party meal.
Makes 4 servings
• 1 bunch asparagus, cleaned and trimmed
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 1/2 tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari
• 1 clove garlic, minced
1. To make the dressing, put the lemon juice, tamari, and garlic into a small bowl and briskly whisk until smooth and emulsified.
2. Steam the asparagus until crisp tender.
3. Put the hot asparagus into a large bowl and add the dressing. Toss gently to coat the asparagus with the dressing. Cover and chill for 3 to 24 hours.
4. Serve chilled, on a pretty platter or arranged over a bed of baby greens.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE