This delightful dessert makes an easy any-day treat or a quick birthday cake. I served this cake a few years ago as my husbands’ birthday cake and he was overjoyed! Bonus: This beauty is ready for the oven in about 15 minutes flat.
Makes 8 servings
• 2 cups whole wheat flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 1/2 cup vegan margarine, melted
• 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 2 teaspoons (packed) lemon zest
• 1-1/2 cup sweetened non-dairy milk
• Vegan confectioner’s sugar for dusting, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Oil an 8x8 round or square cake pan.
2. Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt in a large mixing bowl and stir with a dry whisk to combine. Add the sugar and stir to combine.
3. Add the margarine, lemon juice, lemon zest and non-dairy milk. Stir until incorporated.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (Tent the top with foil for the last 10 to 15 minutes, if the cake is browning too much).
5. Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes. Turn upside down onto a pretty serving plate and dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.