You’ll really impress your family and guests with quick-to-bake tortilla chips. These kid-friendly snack chips are so crispy and tasty that you won’t miss the oil or extra calories found in most store-bought varieties. These gems are great with hummus, salsa or any dip, making them the perfect choice for festive, warm weather parties.
Makes 4 servings
• 2 whole-grain tortillas (see notes)
• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more as needed
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
2. Cut tortillas into chip-size portions. Put the cut tortillas, chili powder, and salt in a large bowl. Toss to coat.
3. Arrange the tortillas in a single layer on the prepared sheet. Bake 7 to 10 minutes or just until crisp and edges are slightly browned. Sprinkle with more salt, if desired.
• For a gluten-free option, use brown rice tortillas instead of whole-grain tortillas.
• Flavored tortillas, like spicy or chipotle, work best in this recipe.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.