You’ll really impress your family and guests with quick-to-bake tortilla chips. These kid-friendly snack chips are so crispy and tasty that you won’t miss the oil or extra calories found in most store-bought varieties. These gems are great with hummus, salsa or any dip, making them the perfect choice for festive, warm weather parties.
Makes 4 servings
• 2 whole-grain tortillas (see notes)
• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more as needed
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
2. Cut tortillas into chip-size portions. Put the cut tortillas, chili powder, and salt in a large bowl. Toss to coat.
3. Arrange the tortillas in a single layer on the prepared sheet. Bake 7 to 10 minutes or just until crisp and edges are slightly browned. Sprinkle with more salt, if desired.
• For a gluten-free option, use brown rice tortillas instead of whole-grain tortillas.
• Flavored tortillas, like spicy or chipotle, work best in this recipe.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE